Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Stood Up


Bradley Arthur
with the Four Jacks, chorus
and Herbie Layne's orchestra


Gateway Top Tune
1957

Ricky Nelson cover on a budget label.  The only one other record by Bradley Arthur on Gateway is "The Stroll".

The song was written by Dub Dickerson (1927-1979), a country singer who dabbled in rockabilly and Erma Herrold,  wife of Imperial recording artist, Dennis Herrold.

In an interview quoted by Bill Millar, Dickerson could barely recall the singer. "Dennis and Erma Lee were married and living in Dallas.  They were about the same age as me so I guess they were born around 1927 or 1928.  I knew Dennis did a little picking but I didn't know he did any singing. I collaborated with Erma to write 'Stood Up' and I had a songwriting contract with Imperial.  It looks like the songs I wrote they gave them to Dennis to do.  I'm gonna have to check with BMI. I wasn't aware of him doing my stuff !"

Dennis and Erma Lee divorced in the late 1950s ; they had a son, Johnnie Lynwood Herrold, born in 1953.   Erma Lee died a few years ago.   Her second husband (to whom she was married for nearly 45 years) claims that Dennis always tried to take credit for writing "Stood Up".   There was a period of several years when Erma and her new husband moved a lot that Dennis managed to have BMI and the publisher send him the checks because the companies couldn't keep up with their moves.  But Dennis did record the demo of "Stood Up" that was sent to Lew Chudd, Imperial's owner.


3 comments:

  1. After Dennis divorced from Erma Lee, he moved to El Paso and played the bars there most of the 1960s and 1970s.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not bad. The Gateway and Value Hit Parade labels often had pretty good budget cover versions.
    BTW, this is the first time I've seen a Gateway 45 (I thought they were only 78rpm), and the first time I've seen an address on the label (I thought they were in Ohio).
    Thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to hear the original demo sent to Imperial. I guess none of those discs survived the ravages of time eh!

    ReplyDelete